On Thursday, Facebook launched Messenger Day, a feature within Messenger that offers the ability to share disappearing photos and videos with Facebook Friends and followers. Coming right out of the gate with over 5,000 stickers, frames, and effects, Messenger Day is poised to snag market share from Snapchat, arguably the first and most-successful mainstream social network to build a platform around temporary content.
Within Messenger Day, a photo can be taken with face-mapped masks and filters, then shared to your “Day,” a special feed comprised of the shared, expiring content. This feature may be recognized by anyone who uses Instagram stories, as they share many similar interface elements.
To access Messenger Day,
- On iOS or Android, make sure your Messenger app is up to date
- Open Messenger and tap the Camera button at the bottom center of the screen
- Take a photo or video! Alternately, you can choose the gallery button in the bottom left to choose an image or video from your phone’s gallery or camera roll.
- If you’d like to add a mask or effects to your photo or video, tap the smiley face icon at the top right. To add text, hit the “Aa” icon, and to draw, choose the “squiggle.”
- When you’re done, you can save the image by clicking the download icon in the bottom left corner, or click the arrow in the bottom right to choose where you’d like to share it.
- You can choose to add it to your Day, to send it to a specific person or group conversation you’re a part of, and have another opportunity to save it to your phone.
- When you’re ready, hit send to share your content with any of your chosen recipients. It will be available for 24 hours before expiring.
At launch, a few notable differences between Messenger Day and Snapchat are the ability to add an image or video to your Day directly from a conversation, multiple different text layouts and effects, and the lack of an alert when someone takes a screenshot of your Day.
Messenger Day is rolling out to global Facebook users on iOS and Android.
Want to learn more about Messenger Day? Check out our video demo below: